Things to do and see in and around Dunedin, New Zealand.
Or go back to the Otago index or the main New Zealand index.
Food / Drink
- Good Good: https://www.goodgood.co.nz
- Ocho Chocolate Cafe: https://ocho.co.nz
- Kissing Gate Cafe (Middlemarch): https://goo.gl/maps/scLQVnVQ5BT2
- Emerson’s Brewery: https://emersons.co.nz
- The Corner Store Cafe: https://www.thecornerstorecafe.co.nz
- Speights Brewery: https://speights.co.nz
- New New New: https://www.newnewnew.nz
- Starfish Cafe: http://www.starfishcafe.co.nz
Activities / Things To See
- Baldwin Street: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street
- Botanic Gardens: http://www.dunedinbotanicgarden.co.nz
- St Clair Beach: https://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/st-clair-beach/
- The Octagon: http://www.dunedin.nz.com/octagon.aspx
- Street Art Trail: http://dunedinstreetart.co.nz
- Otago Settlers Museum: http://www.toituosm.com
- Otago Museum: https://otagomuseum.nz
- Otago Farmers Market: https://www.otagofarmersmarket.org.nz
- Dunedin Railway Station – Taieri Gorge: https://www.dunedinrailways.co.nz
- Lanarch Castle: https://www.larnachcastle.co.nz
- Royal Albatross Centre: https://albatross.org.nz
- Sandymount Track (via Chasm & Lovers’ Leap): https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/otago-peninsula-area/things-to-do/sandymount-track/
- Sandfly Bay: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/otago-peninsula-area/things-to-do/sandfly-bay-track/
- Boulder Beach Track
This one is very near Sandfly Bay but is quite interesting to get to.
First you need to find a place to leave you car; we left ours on the side of the road when our car couldn’t make it any further down the road. Once you get on the road that Google Maps has told you is the right one, park anywhere on there (or simply go as far as you can and walk the rest).
Next, you’ll walk down the road, passing by paddocks with horses on your left and sheep on your right, and you’ll come to what seems to be a dead end leading you down a ditch – this is the correct way. Given how much it has rained, it’ll be a wet walk. Keep following the sketchy-looking ditch for a ways, and right when you think you want to turn back, keep going around the corner, and you’ll see a sign and a way to hop the fence (a stile) and begin the real trek down to the beach.
This next bit requires a little faith. Once you begin your way through the bush, make sure you periodically remember where the orange ribbons are or are least some landmarks (e.g. “we came from this side of the only grove of trees in the area”). You’ll basically follow a not-maintained-at-all track towards the ocean that you can hear in the distance. You’ll be able to tell the track from where it’s been beaten down; maybe do some beating of your own.
Eventually you’ll get to the beach, see some fur seals, have a nice time, and find your way back.
- Sutton Salt Lake: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/sutton-salt-lake-scenic-reserve/
- Moeraki Boulders: https://www.moerakiboulders.com
- Steampunk Museum: https://www.steampunkoamaru.co.nz
- Victorian Precinct: https://www.victorianoamaru.co.nz
- Nugget Point: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-coastal-area/things-to-do/nugget-point-tokata-walks/
- Jack’s Blowhole Track: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-coastal-area/things-to-do/jacks-blowhole-track/
- Jack’s Bay: https://southlandnz.com/the-catlins/natural-attraction/jacks-bay
- Florence Hill Lookout: https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attraction_Review-g1773668-d12286735-Reviews-Florence_Hill_Lookout-Papatowai_Otago_Region_South_Island.html
- McLean Falls: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-conservation-park/things-to-do/mclean-falls-walk/
- Lumberjack Cafe Owaka: http://www.lumberjackbarandcafe.co.nz
- Purakaunui Falls: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-coastal-area/things-to-do/purakaunui-falls-walk/
- Lake Wilkie Track (and surrounding): https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-coastal-area/things-to-do/tautuku-walks/
- Cathedral Cave (only open at certain times): https://www.cathedralcaves.co.nz
- Old Coach Road & Tahakopa Bay Loop Track: https://southlandnz.com/the-catlins/walking-tramping/old-coach-road-tahakopa-bay-loop-track
- Matai Falls / Horseshoe Falls, the Catlins: https://seethesouthisland.com/matai-falls-horseshoe-falls-catlins-new-zealand/
- Catlins River-Wisp Loop Track: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-conservation-park/things-to-do/catlins-river-wisp-loop-track/
- Owaka Walks (Barrs Falls, Pounawea Nature Walk, Pounawea Bush Walking Track, Surat Bay Wildlife Walk):